Celebrating our love of reading – ALL week
We took the week of 8 – 12 February to celebrate our reading. This is the sixth time we have had our annual Love Reading week and every year it gets better. This year the activities included:
- DEAR Drop everything and read every day. We stopped work and read for twenty minutes every day during the week.
- Blind date with a book for grades 5 and over. Tempting the risk takers in our community we wrapped books and left clues on them. Students who chose the books made a commitment to read the entire book
- Paper crafts in the library at lunchtime. We repurposed old books and made bookmarks, poems, boxes and flowers. This was so popular at Marmara we will hold a craft lunchtimes every Friday for the rest of the year.
- Bookmark competition. Our students created bookmarks and the winning ones will be copied and given out from the library. One student entered 17 bookmarks.
- PTA book swap. An annual treat – students love to swap out old books for new to them books. a great way to recycle.
- Dress as your favourite book character. Asking librarians to choose a favourite book character is a little hard so here at Marmara we came as library angels.
- The primary teachers on both campuses did Readers’ Theatre style book reviews for their students during assemblies. The books reviewed were “The Dot” and “The Witches”.
- We launched the second annual Battle of the Books for grade 5 and 6 students.
- AND everyone enjoyed reading lots of books